Admittedly, this hotel doesn’t seem to fit the mould of our usual guest-houses in rural Morocco. Not only is it bigger, it offers a lot more luxurious amenities, and it’s not tucked away along a dirt track! Time and again Dar Zitoune has proven to be a hit with our clients who are travelling north from the desert.
Why do we like it? It must be the mature gardens and extensive grounds. Everywhere you walk you encounter exotic fruit and flowers, herbs, citrus, olive, palm and papaya trees.
A great touch – the owners have added name-signs for all the plant and tree species in the gardens so that you’ll know your kumquat from your pomegranate, just as you would in a botanic garden.
The lush gardens conceal the bungalow-style rooms and suites such that you don’t feel like you’re staying in a hotel with 30 rooms (including 8 luxurious tents).
Here’s what else we think appeals to the dusty traveller from the desert:
- order breakfast in your room or on your private terrace if you don’t feel like venturing to the restaurant
- four-course evening meal plus a cheese course
- two pools, a year-round heated jacuzzi, hammam and a sauna
- spacious rooms and suites – upgrade to a suite with a minibar, salon area, dressing room and larger bathroom
- easy overnight point between Essaouira and the Sahara Desert, or between the Sahara Desert and Marrakech
Please let us know if you’re interested to combine a stay at Dar Zitoune with one of our private tours.